Byron Garcia, MD
- Instructor in Psychiatry
Byron Garcia, MD, is a board-certified adult and child psychiatrist who specializes in the care of adolescents and adults with psychotic disorders, bipolar disorder, depression, OCD, and anxiety disorders. As the medical director at McLean SouthEast Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorders Adult Inpatient Program, his goal is to implement effective treatment for his patients to resolve or significantly reduce their symptoms. At the same time, he has a compassionate approach with a focus on the patient’s strengths and building new skills.
Dr. Garcia has a vast background in clinical, administrative, and teaching responsibilities. He is an expert in medication management, with 26 years of experience. Dr. Garcia has lectured on children and adults with psychiatric illnesses, nationally and internationally. He has participated in clinical research on predicting outcomes for depression comparing standardized tools with clinicians’ prognosis. Dr. Garcia is also a staff psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Education & Training
- 1989 Physician/Surgeon, School of Medicine, Universidad Pontificia Bolivariana, Medellin, Colombia
- 1992-1993 Internship in Pediatrics, Albert Einstein School of Medicine
- 1993 -1997 Residency in Adult, Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- 1997 Medical License, Board of Registration in Medicine, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2001, 2011 Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- 2002, 2012 Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology